From: "Sam Liao" <email@example.com>
Subject: NONMEM installation on Windows Me
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:10:48 -0400
I am trying to install digital fortran compiler and NONMEM on Windows
Me. I added the shell statement in the config.sys file. However, I
still got the "out of environment space" error msg and the fortran
compiler is not working in NONMEM installation. I was told by Sony tech
support that Windows Me do not work well with DOS and they don't support
DOS period. Anyone can share your experience in Windows Me would be
From: "bvatul" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Re: NONMEM installation on Windows Me
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:09:18 -0400
These are some of my experiences with WinME+Compaq Visual Fortran
Yes, I am using WinME for NONMEM. The problem that I was facing was
because the memory settings were not correct. To correct the problem
please do these steps:
1. In case you are installing digitial fortran, please create a folder
and copy dfvars.bat file into it.
2. From DOS prompt or from WIndows Explorer run the file dfvars.bat
(From Explorer you can simply double click)
3. In case you have problem in the memory settings a message will be
displayed which will say that OUT OF MEMORY.
4. In MS-DOS window please increase your memory settings to 2048.
5. Close the window, restart the computer and double click on dfvars.bat
6. This time you should not see any error message on OUT OF MEMORY or a
7. Please also check if your AUTOEXEC.bat has the starting lines in it
if step 6 fails.
8. I hope that during installation of Fortran Compiler it must have
prompted you to allow it to make changes to the AUTOEXEC file.
9. You should now be able to install NONMEM with no problem with
setup a c nmv df y link command
10. In worst case you might have to copy dfvars.bat (or its equivalent)
to run folder and then execute it everytime you have to run NONMEM.
Did installation fail in sep.for compilation step and give message that
Check for error messages in emsgs.txt. For overcoming this step this
would be good:
Which fortran compiler are you using? Is it Compaq Visual Fortran? If
so, you need to do peruser setup and then only it will compile NONMEM.
One more thing which I did was I created a folder and copied dfvars.bat
to it and then before installing NONMEM i simply opened the directory
and I typed dfvars.bat. then I proceeded to go ahead with installation
11. Before reinstalling NONMEM please delete the previous installation
12. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU RUN DFVARS.BAT BEFORE YOU INSTALL NONMEM.
IT WILL DO IT.
13. RUN THE TEST FILE (CONTROL3) AND I AM CONFIDENT IT WILL WORK.
14. That is not all. Now the actual test comes. Open the MS-DOS and run
one of your actual data files.
15. If it runs then all is well otherwise you can copy dfvars.bat into
run folder and run it everytime you open dos window to run NONMEM.
16. I have tried to use WinME with Compaq Visual Fortran. I could
install NONMEM and run the control3 file, but all problems broke out
when I started to analyse real life data sets and NONMEM will simply say
file not found while at the same time when I check in run folder the
data files are very much present.
I could not resolve the problem (I must thank Dr Bachman for his
patience) and I went back to my old Fortran Power Station (Microsoft). I
even formatted my machine to check if there was any problem in DOS
configuration (since my system, DELL was preloaded with WinME).
I am still not sure where was the problem but I am now working with
Fortran Power Station on WinME